Photos & Facts : Malaysia's Best and Busiest Airports
Malaysia Airport Holdings Berhad (MAHB) kicking off its 25th-anniversary celebration this year and continues to play an important role in the development of Malaysian aviation industry.
Throughout the 25 years, MAHB has been fortunate to enjoy many successes in both, domestic and international arena, cementing its position around the globe as one of the best airport operators in the world.
Celebrating the occasion, Seasia figured out facts that are good for readers to know about this holistic global airport company that manages:
- KL International Airport (KLIA), among the top 25 busiest airports in the world.
- klia2, the company's second terminal.
- six international airports.
- 16 domestic and 18 airport aerodrome (short take off landing ports -STOLports).
KUALA LUMPUR INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT
Throughout 2016, MAHB through its report had achieved milestones as listed below:
- 118.5 million passengers pass through its airports including Istanbul's Sabiha Gökçen International Airport (SGIA), up 5.7% from 2015;
- International traffic recorded 52.8 million passengers, a year-on-year (y-o-y) increase of 6.1%;
- Domestic traffic recorded 65.7 million passenger movements with a 5.4% growth;
- International passenger growth momentum picked up in the second half of 2016, to 11% from 5% in first half of the year;
- A 6% growth at 88.8 million passenger movements from 2015 while the international sector recorded 43.2 million movements, an increase of 8%;
- Malaysian airports also registered a strong increase in traffic in 2016 which include Kota Kinabalu, Penang, Langkawi, Alor Setar, Ipoh, Tawau and Mulu. Ipoh experienced high growth rate (more than 20%) following the introduction of a direct service to Singapore;
- All the five international airports in Malaysia grew between 3% and 13.6%, and 11 of the 21 international and domestic airports posted growth ranging from 1% to 21%;
- KLIA surpassed the 50 million mark in passenger handling for the first time, reaching over 52.6 million passengers last year;
- Comparing KLIA and klia2, about 6.3% more passengers or 27.1 million flew from klia2 compared to 25.5 million from KLIA, but the latter saw a 12.8% growth in passengers y-o-y versus a 3% rise in klia2.
- December registered the highest number of passengers for 2016 crossing the eight million mark.
We attached also the list of Malaysian airports nationwide, together with the passenger traffic data, recorded up to last year.
According to Malaysia Airport Holdings Berhad, data below also includes the total amount of departure, arrival and transit passengers for the years selected, and for both domestic and international flights arriving in scheduled and non-scheduled services.
KOTA KINABALU INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT - 7,263,339 PASSENGERS
PENANG INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT - 6,684,026 PASSENGERS
KUCHING INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT - 4,919,677 PASSENGERS
SKYPARK TERMINAL AIRPORT - 2,834,384 PASSENGERS
SENAI INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT - 2,828,074 PASSENGERS
LANGKAWI INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT - 2,665,271 PASSENGERS
Source : KLIA Official Website,