These Islands in Southeast Asia Ranked Among the World's Best!
To island-hop some of the most beautiful havens in the world, book a trip to Asia, which lays claim to six of this year’s top 15 destinations.
But if you only have a week, you’ll hardly suffer.
Each of the islands on this list is worth a visit on its own, from the perennial World’s Best list-makers Maui and the Galápagos to Portugal’s rising star, the Azores, with its friendly locals and awe-inspiring landscapes.
Voted by the readers, herewith the World's Best Islands for 2018 together with their scores, according to the preeminent voice for the sophisticated, insatiable traveller, serving up expert intelligence and the most immersive, inspiring travel lifestyle content, Travel + Leisure:
15. Azores, Portugal (Score: 88.37)
14. Maui, Hawaii (Score: 88.42)
13. Orkney Islands, Scotland (Score: 88.50)
12. Cook Islands, New Zealand (Score: 88.52)
11. Galapagos Islands, Ecuador (Score: 88.53)
10. Tasmania, Australia (Score: 88.70)
9. Paros, Greece (Score: 88.76)
8. Cebu, Philippines (Score: 89.10)
7. Mauritius (Score: 90.00)
6. Palawan, Philippines (Score: 90.04)
5. Waiheke, New Zealand
4. Maldives (Score: 90.48)
3. Lombok, Indonesia (Score: 93.88)
2. Bali, Indonesia (Score: 94.06)
1. JAVA, INDONESIA (SCORE: 95.28)
Java, with a population of 140 million, makes its first appearance on this list. Celebrated for its ancient culture, breathtaking vistas, and UNESCO World Heritage sites like the Borobudur Temple Compounds, the island also offers the opportunity to indulge in modernity (five-star hotels abound).
Waterfalls, volcanoes, protected parks, and white-sand beaches also allow visitors to get away from the thrum.
Source: Travel+Leisure magazine