Initiated by tourism practitioners in ASEAN countries, the annual ASEANTA Awards for Excellence recognised ASEAN individuals or organisations that have contributed to the development and promotion of ASEAN tourism products.
Consisted of six categories, the 30th ASEANTA Awards for Excellence 2017 which took place at the Borobudur Hotel in Central Jakarta on Tuesday, coincided with same-day celebrations to mark the founding of ASEAN, 50 years.
Indonesia had to compete with Thailand and the Philippines to host the event.
“The award is usually given to winners of the ASEAN Tourism Forum [ATF] in the beginning of the year. But this time it has its own event,” said Association of Air Ticketing Companies in Indonesia (ASTINDO) general secretary, Pauline Suharno, who also serves as the association’s representative at ASEANTA.
For this year, the list of 30th ASEANTA Awards for Excellence 2017 winners are as follows:
1. Garuda Indonesia as Best ASEAN cultural preservation effort;
2. Indonesian Agung Prameswara's Mount Bromo picture as Best ASEAN tourism photo;
3. Singapore Airlines' in-flight magazine SPH Magazine as Best ASEAN travel article;
4. AirAsia as Best ASEAN marketing and promotional campaign;
5. Myanmar's Shan Yoma Travel and Tours as Best ASEAN new tourism attraction.