Southeast Asia's Flight Landscape: A Comprehensive Look at May 2023
Explore the latest insights and analysis on the South East Asia aviation market, using data generated by OAG's Schedules Analyser. The information is updated on a monthly basis, with departing seats (one-way) being used as the basis of calculation. Discover the most active airports, airlines, and flight routes in this dynamic region, Southeast Asia.
Total Airline Capacity (Domestic + International) in Southeast Asia - May 2023
- In May 2023, South East Asia's airline capacity is at 36.4 million seats, which is a 15% decline from May 2019, but a 27% increase from May 2022.
- Domestic flights account for 62% of total capacity, while international flights account for the remaining 38%.
- Domestic capacity has decreased by 9% from May 2019, while international capacity has dropped by 23%.
- However, international capacity is gradually recovering, with a significant 148% growth from May 2022.
- There has been a 4% increase in seats per day in May 2023 compared to April 2023 in the region.
Total Seats By Country - May 2023
- Indonesia dominates SE Asia's airline capacity, contributing to 30% of the total capacity in the region.
- Indonesia offers 349,919 seats per day, which increased by 6% from April to May 2023.
- Vietnam ranks second in terms of capacity, providing 6.2 million seats (17% of the total capacity) in May 2023. Seats per day increased by 4%.
- Thailand is now the third-largest country, providing 6 million seats (16% of the total capacity) in the region. Seats per day decreased by 4% in May 2023 compared to the previous month.
Top 10 Domestic Routes - May 2023
- Indonesia dominates the Top 10 domestic routes in SE Asia, including Jakarta (CGK) to Denpasar-Bali (DPS), which is the largest and second-largest in the region.
- The Jakarta-Denpasar route saw a 13% increase in daily seats from April to May.
Top 10 International Routes - May 2023
- Singapore plays a crucial role in SE Asia, hosting 7 out of the region's Top 10 international routes, and the Top 5 routes link Singapore to other major hub airports.
- In April, capacity between Kuala Lumpur (KUL) and Singapore (SIN) increased by 3% compared to March, with a daily average of 6% more seats.
- Jakarta (CGK) to Kuala Lumpur (KUL) saw the biggest increase in May 2023, with a 23% growth in seats per day compared to the previous month.
Top 10 Airports By Total Seats - May 2023
- 59% of SE Asia's total capacity is concentrated in the Top 10 airports.
- With 3.2 million seats, Jakarta still retains the top spot for the largest airport by capacity in SE Asia this month. The average seats per day have increased by 8% compared to the previous month.
- Singapore's Changi Airport ranks as the second largest airport in SE Asia with a capacity of 3 million seats per day. There has been a 2% increase in average seats per day from April to May 2023.
Top 10 Fastest Growing Airports By International Seats - May 2023
- Singapore (SIN), Kuala Lumpur (KUL), and Bangkok Don Mueang (DMK) are the airports with the most international capacity growth this month.
- Singapore's international capacity has grown by 6% or 159,437 seats.
- Kuala Lumpur's international capacity has increased by 8% or 127,011 seats.
- Bangkok Don Mueang has experienced an 18% growth in international capacity, with an addition of 95,000 seats.
Top 10 Airlines By Seats - May 2023
- Lion Air is still the biggest carrier in SE Asia in terms of seat volume and its capacity has increased by 15% compared to May 2019.
- Five airlines out of the Top 10 are currently operating the same number of seats as in April 2019: Lion Air, Vietnam Airlines, Vietjet, Batik Air, and Singapore Airlines.
- In May 2023, Batik Air ranked 6th among the largest carrier in SE Asia with 1.8 million seats, which is a 45% increase in capacity compared to May 2019.
Top 10 Airlines By Seats Added - May 2023
- Lion Air increased their capacity by 15% this month, adding the highest number of seats, 431,159.
- Vietjet increased their capacity by 13% with the second-highest number of seats added, 254,907.
- Batik Air Malaysia showed the highest percentage increase in capacity this month, adding 22% more seats compared to April.
Why you report this article?
What do you think?
Give a comment