Fort San Pedro is widely regarded as the oldest military fort in the Philippines. Located within Plaza Independencia along the coast of Cebu City, the fort stands on a 2,025-square-meter site at the edge of Cebu’s port. Its imposing walls rise to 6 meters high and are up to 2.4 meters thick.
The main entrance to the interior of the fort passes through the main gate. The surroundings of Fort San Pedro integrate directly with the public green open space of Plaza Independencia.
A Long History of the Fort's Construction
The origins of Fort San Pedro date back to the 16th century, specifically May 1565. Its initial construction was initiated by Miguel López de Legazpi, the first Governor-General of the Spanish East Indies.
The initial function of Fort San Pedro was established as a military security outpost for Spanish colonial forces. Its earliest structure consisted solely of simple wooden log palisades.
The temporary wooden structure remained along the Cebu coast for nearly two centuries. The Spanish colonial authorities subsequently decided to reinforce the fort permanently in 1738. The fortification was carried out to repel attacks by Moro raiders originating from southern waters.
The Spanish authorities dismantled the old wooden fence and replaced it with solid coral stone blocks. The construction transformed the fort's layout into a triangular plan.
The three corners of the fort were designed as observation bastions, named Bastion La Concepción, Bastion San Ignacio de Loyola, and Bastion San Miguel.
Each upper level of the bastions was fitted with a line of cannons. The placement of artillery at the corners was intended to monitor maritime waters while securing the landward approach.
Shifting Control Across Eras
Spanish control over Fort San Pedro came to an end in late 1898. Spanish colonial authorities surrendered ownership of the fort to Cebuano revolutionaries in December 1898.
A few months later, the United States forces took control of Fort San Pedro upon occupying Cebu City in February 1899.
The US forces repurposed Fort San Pedro as part of the Warwick Barracks military complex. The facility of the fort was later converted into a school for Cebuanos between 1937 and 1941.
During World War II, the Imperial Japanese forces seized Fort San Pedro from the US troops in 1942. The fort complex served as a shelter for Japanese civilian residents until 1945.
In 1945, the Allied forces drove the Imperial Japanese troops out of the Cebu region. Fort San Pedro was then utilized as an emergency hospital during the battle to liberate Cebu City from Japanese occupation. Following the end of the war, Fort San Pedro served as an army camp from 1946 to 1950.
Post-War Transformation of Fort San Pedro
In 1957, Fort San Pedro narrowly escaped demolition. The Mayor of Cebu at the time, Sergio Osmeña Jr., planned to build a new city hall on the site. The construction plan was ultimately abandoned following widespread public opposition.
The city government subsequently utilized the fort's courtyard as a small zoo. The zoo operation continued until 1968, when it was relocated due to severe structural deterioration that left only two towers intact.
The damaged condition prompted a major restoration project led by architect Leonardo Concepción. The restoration effort succeeded in recovering most of the fort's primary structure.
Decades later, full administrative oversight of Fort San Pedro was officially transferred to the Cebu City Government in February 2008. The historic complex now serves as an open historical park and a museum housing Spanish-era relics, including antique weaponry, paintings, sculptures, and historical documents.

